Old 24-02-2003, 09:53 AM
R & L Porter

Default Sombreuil and Spring roses

"Theo Asir" wrote in message

Glad to say my Som. has survived -10f winter.

Okay, any idea on what that is in Celsius? Last
week we reached -35, -40 Celsius (taking into account
windchill), although this is not the norm. Thank
god for all of the snow cover. That kind of cold is just
wrong.

I think we have had the Sombreuil/Mme. Alfred Carriere
hardiness discussion before. Or maybe I am experiencing
deja vu.

required some radical action though.

I don't recommend first year in the ground
esp. in cold areas. It grows very slowly.
After 3 months it had only grown 18 inches high
by August.

Now this is no where near robust enough for
winter around here so I plucked it from the ground
and potted it. It sulked for a while then recovered.
It has even kept all its leaves.

Where is it hanging out in its pot? An unheated garage?

***snip list

Didn't you get this last year. What happened
or is it too painful to talk about..

I think I *wanted* to order this stuff, and had
every intention of ordering, but decided to put
it off. sniff, sniff... I can't exactly remember! Every order
requires copious amounts of Spring labour and it coincides
with Spring exams. This is my last term so I am
slightly less anal about exam-time.

I did manage to acquire around a dozen potted plants
over the summer, which I am sure I have mentioned
some time ago. Don't ask for names, though. It has
been so long since I have seen one of my rose bushes
that they sort of fade from my memory, or they
get rudely shoved aside by other more pressing thoughts.
Then sometime in mid-April, May and June I begin to reacquaint
myself with all of my old friends. I do make lists of the roses
I buy and where they are planted, just in case I forget
who is who!

Felicite Parmentier - Alba

once blooming??

Yup, as are almost half of that list. Most of my repeat bloomers
never really give me much after the first big bang in June/July, so
once bloomers can be just as satisfying, if not more so. Remember
that around here the roses are pretty much finished off by early
September, with a few scraggly blooms here and there in October.
Then frosts start. Mid-June is the beginning, early July is THE
show, with the end of July still decent. The rest is all gravy.

Antique '89 - climber

Is this the german rose also called
antike 89? I've lusted after it but
havn't found an own root version yet.

I am not sure if it is the same one, however I think Antique '89 is
a Kordes rose, which means it is German. I have been lusting
after it too, that is why it is on ze list.

I am getting excited, even though it is below 30 degrees celsius out
there right now and the garden is buried in several feet Brrrrr....
of snow.

Laura

right!

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

You have lots of snow in Kansas City?

Laura -- betcha don't have as much snow as we do, nya, nya, nya
nya, nya.