Old 24-04-2009, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Allotment : Porous plastic sheets

"Hamer Family" wrote in message
The stuff I usually use is non porous, your typical waterproof tarpaulin,
I put it down after I have taken the plants up. Taking it up late this
winter to get ready for planting, the ground was far from dry. It seems to
keep the moisure in. I have quite sandy soil. I am guessing that it
created a mcroclimate under the sheets, like lifting a rock up on a sunny
day and finding the ground damp underneath. Same critters under there too,
slugs, snails, woodlice and centipedes.

With the kale I did water the plants for a while through the slits but
after they were established I didn't water them again. They seemed happy
so I left them alone. I have been using the same tarps for three years and
although grubby and a bit tatty in places I guess that I won't need to buy
any new ones for a good few years yet.

--
Mark Hamer

Thanks Mark, this morning I bought some porous off the 2m roll at 49ppm. If
I only get 2 seasons out of it, I'll look out for B&Q etc, tarps'. I suppose
a bonus would be getting some with eyelets. -
..