Old 24-04-2009, 04:22 PM posted to rec.gardens
M.Paul[_3_] M.Paul[_3_] is offline

Default ELM tree stump- cannot kill it

"Dave_S" wrote in message
Almost 2 years ago, we hired a tree company to cut down a 60 foot high
Chinese Elm with 24 inch trunk. Remaining stump is 3 inches high which
they filled grooves with chainsaw fuel. They guaranteed this would kill
the stump and prevent any regrowth. Not only has the stump NOT DIED, but
constantly produces "hundreds" of new fast growing twigs all year.

Is too costly to have stump killed by grinding company.
I sure could use suggestions for low cost methods and materials to kill
this sturdy aggressive stump. The tree stump and new seedlings grows very
rapidly, raised and cracked the city sidewalk and now is producing
seedlings all over my property in lawns, flower beds.

Thanks, Dave_s

Try drilling several 1/2 inch holes as deep as you can straight down into
the stump and fill the holes with table salt.
Good luck.
M.Paul