Old 24-04-2009, 04:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default Gardening Project for Kindergarten

"The Ranger" wrote in message
ndwidth...
Steve Peek wrote in message
"The Ranger" wrote in message
ndwidth...
I am teaching a kindergarten class about plants and one of
the "science" projects is growing a series of plants from
seedlings. I've planned out my plants but would like them
to see them before we leave for the summer.

Is there a way of assisting the initial growth of the seedlings?

Why didn't you plant radishes to start with? The kids could've
eaten them before summer break.

In answer to your question, some seeds respond well to
gentle bottom heat.

Didn't know about radishes (or other tubers) growing quickly. I'm
_usually_ given more time which has always allowed a good growth for
tracking. The best experiment was sunflowers but that was three years ago
so my memory might be a little rosey in hue.

Thanks for the idea. I'll give it a try.

The kids were excited when they got to choose their own peppers
(jalapenos, seranos, and Anaheim) to plant. They also planted sweet basil,
cilantro, and mint in pots they painted...

The Ranger

Send the plants home and have the kids bring you produce next term.
Steve