Old 24-04-2009, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Starry Eyes

"Sacha" wrote in message
Bertie Doe wrote:
Proper name : omphalodes cappadocica, a perennial, developed in Holland
from forget-me-nots. Some uk seed merchants sell it in plugs, at great
expense. Anyone know why it's not available in seed form?
http://preview.tinyurl.com/cltxf6

.

Is it possible that it's got Plant Breeders Rights on it which means it
can only be propagated and sold under licence? It's like having a patent.
It's propagated by cuttings and root division, apparently, not tissue
culture which causes it to have a tendency to revert.
--

Agh sounds fairly labour intensive, which will add to the cost. It's also a
fairly new plant, so there's the novelty premium. I'll wait a couple of