Old 25-04-2009, 12:42 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default Mice in garden now in house

"YMC" wrote in message
"0tterbot" wrote in message
how is not killing a european house mouse "ecofriendly"? i know they're
cute but they don't belong here so there's no eco-problem in killing
them! (quite the reverse).

the "humane" traps are good for relocating them. e.g. if you caught an
indigenous mouse, or you caught a european mouse & are hopelessly
soft-hearted. :-)

Haha, no not soft hearted. I was going to write humane trap - but being
"humane" to a non-human rodent seems an odd thing to say. So I used the
word - ecofriendly.

sorry to be a word-nerd, but i just am :-)

humane means for a human to behave in a kind and responsible way towards
another creature, whether human or not. those traps are thusly labelled
because one is able to relocate the animal without hurting it. you can
definitely be humane to a creature which isn't human, just as long as you're
human yourself :-)

eco-friendly is rapidly becoming meaningless, but is meant to imply an
activity which is either benign to, or actively helps, our environment in
its natural form.

I'm not a mouse expert and don't know whether the mouse is native or not.
Its small. Grey. and has a very long tail.

it's most likely a european house mouse. they have rounded ears, are grey,
and have cute buttony eyes & are generally extremely appealing in
appearance. they tend to be extremely small.

indigenous mice come in a few species i'm quite sure... however ime tend to
have more oval ears & a more stand-uppish appearance & tend to be brown &
quite likely a tiny bit larger. they have more of the look of a miniature
bilby to them, which an exotic mouse doesn't have. i'd be inclined to just
relocate these, if they're what you've got. european mice should just be
killed, ideally, imo. indigenous mice are much less likely to ever move into
your house in the first place ime so it's probably not one of those anyway.

And its also freaking the other
person who lives in this house out.

i can't fathom anyone getting freaked out by a few mice, but that's not the
issue here :-)
kylie