Old 25-04-2009, 03:36 AM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] kate@notme.com is offline

Default What is this weed and how do I kill it!!! ;^)

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 21:16:02 -0500, Charlie wrote:

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 11:39:51 +1000, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

Thistles are actually wonderful plants as they are 'deep miners'. What I
mean by that is that they send their roots down waaaay deep and bring
minerals up into the top soil.

This is a point too often not made and too often forgotten.

Thistles are good additions to the compost pile, because of this deep
mining, provided they are nicked out before seeding.

Charlie

Thistles smell good too, but I still think it's wild lettuce. I
suppose one way to tell is if the OP screams when they step on it.

Kate