Old 25-04-2009, 09:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Question about starting garden

Billy wrote:
In article ,
James Egan wrote:

I'm planning on planting a small garden in my back yard. Currently
there's lawn with grass growing where I want to plant. When you
till the soil, can you just mix in the grass? Or should the grass
be removed first, then tilled, and compost added?

-Thanks

Don't dig. Don't till.
Here is a site from the impeccable Mother Earth News.
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organ.../Lasagna-Garde
ning.aspx
It is for gardening with out digging, to which I, and a few others
here attest to its' efficacy.

You are getting started a little late. Cover your garden area
immediately with newsprint (no color) or cardboard, after spreading
around some manure, bone meal, and maybe some wood stove ashes. Cover
the paper with alfalfa (2" to 4"). Afterward, mulch with any kind of
compost but try to fish emulsion with "organic" fish emulsion at least
once amonth. Then water and wait ten days before you plant by poking
holes through the paper/cardboard.

Big plants to the north of the garden. Beds should be 4' wide.
Stepping stones would be nice for the pathways, to keep from
compacting the dirt too much. See if you can get "How to Grow More
Vegetables" by John Jeavons
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/...=search-alias%
3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=How+to+Grow+More+Vegetables&x=0&y=0 from
your local library.

This fall, broadcast rye or buckwheat into your garden. Next year,
repeat process.

The plants that you grow will each be their own little universe. Learn
what they need. Each one. This will be slow, but the deeper the
understanding, the more they will reward you.

Billy is a bit serious about this. And that is right as this is serious
business - but not deadly serious. If you want to get results a bit quicker
it is possible. Now I don't want to argue with him but you could possibly
do it with some tilling - and avoid being smited by the elder gods.

Yes you can not till, and do some other stuff, and wait and for nature to
take its course and this would be very good, in time. But for ground that
has not been dug in a long time you can speed things up by selective
tilling. Some turning over and aeration while you dig in the grass, and add
some other goodies (compost, manure, lime etc) will work just fine.

I don't recommend frequent tilling but for a first time preparation it has
its place. You decide.

David