Old 25-04-2009, 07:21 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Question about starting garden

In article ,
James Egan wrote:

I'm planning on planting a small garden in my back yard. Currently
there's lawn with grass growing where I want to plant. When you till the
soil, can you just mix in the grass? Or should the grass be removed
first, then tilled, and compost added?

-Thanks

Don't dig. Don't till.
Here is a site from the impeccable Mother Earth News.
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organ.../Lasagna-Garde
ning.aspx
It is for gardening with out digging, to which I, and a few others here
attest to its' efficacy.

You are getting started a little late. Cover your garden area
immediately with newsprint (no color) or cardboard, after spreading
around some manure, bone meal, and maybe some wood stove ashes. Cover
the paper with alfalfa (2" to 4"). Afterward, mulch with any kind of
compost but try to fish emulsion with "organic" fish emulsion at least
once amonth. Then water and wait ten days before you plant by poking
holes through the paper/cardboard.

Big plants to the north of the garden. Beds should be 4' wide. Stepping
stones would be nice for the pathways, to keep from compacting the dirt
too much. See if you can get "How to Grow More Vegetables" by John
Jeavons
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/...=search-alias%
3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=How+to+Grow+More+Vegetables&x=0&y=0 from
your local library.

This fall, broadcast rye or buckwheat into your garden. Next year,
repeat process.

The plants that you grow will each be their own little universe. Learn
what they need. Each one. This will be slow, but the deeper the
understanding, the more they will reward you.
--

- Billy