Old 25-04-2009, 01:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom[_2_] JoeSpareBedroom[_2_] is offline

Default I'll get those pesky squirrels .............

"SteveB" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"SteveB" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"SteveB" wrote in message
I have made mouse traps out of five gallon buckets, and a tin can on a
wire stretched over the open end. Wipe peanut butter on the can, and
when the mouse steps out on it, it spins and dumps the mouse in the
water.

I have been fighting squirrels all spring. Tomorrow a king size
version goes up, and we'll see how the squirrels do. Going to get two
more for other positions on my property.

Will keep you posted.

Steve

Why?

Why what?

Why are you fighting squirrels?

Because they come into my property, and will strip an apricot tree in half
a day. They don't eat the meat, they leave that on the ground. They take
off the pits. Same thing with almonds. They eat a lot of stuff, and also
destroy a lot without eating it. They chew their way into the shed and
plow through a bag of feed, eat some, and urinate and defecate in the rest
of the bag while they're in there. We have hantavirus here, and so they
bring that with them.

Other than that, I guess they're pretty okay.

Steve

You're never going to trap them all. The only sane solution is to protect
things like the grain. How about storing it in clean metal trash cans with
the lids strapped with bungee cords? If you think they'll chew the bungee
cords, use chain. If they continue chewing on the shed until they figure out
it's pointless, call a siding company and have them wrap the vulnerable
areas in aluminum.