Old 14-04-2003, 01:44 AM
Nedra

Default water plants soil smell bad

Francisco, You say your pond is small and you have two potted
plants. I suggest that you replant the plants in new garden soil.
I'd also do a 10 to 15% water change. De-Chlor the tap water
as you fill the pond. Oh, Yes..please fertilize the plants with Lily Gro
or similar plant food. This is an easy way to take care of the
small pond probs ;-)

Nedra in Missouri

"Francisco" wrote in message
RichToyBox wrote:

That smell is hydrogen sulfide gas. It comes from the anaerobic

digestion
of the roots and other organic debris in the pots or in the pond. I

have
never found a means of potting that did not cause anaerobic bacterial
action. Some on this NG do not pot, but rather set a brick on the roots
hold the plant up right and in place. This allows more of the water to
contact the plants roots, and reduces the anaerobic situation.

Thank you. So, this gas, it's not bad to the fish right?

Francisco