Old 25-04-2009, 04:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Question aboutmixture for killing japanese bettles

"Joe" wrote in message
A guy was telling me to use a mixture of Seven concentrate and Dawn liquid
dish soap with water in my sprayer. He said this would take care of the
problem if I sprayed every couple of days, and to start spraying on
Mother's Day. Do any of you know anything about using this mixture, and
does it work? If I go ahead and try it I want to make sure that my fruit
trees flowers are done being pollinated. I would be very interested in your
opinions. Thanks for your help.

I don't see the point in mixing soap with Sevin. And be careful with
household cleaners, many dishwashing liquids are detergents, not soaps.
The preemergent soap will do nothing to control Japanee beetles, the beetles
are in the ground, as grubs. And Sevin works well in killing the beetles
but there's no point in applying it before the beetles arrive. Don't get
all panicky when you first see the beetles eating holes in leaves, Sevin
works rapidly and those damaged leaves won't hurt the plant, it'll just look
unsightly for a week or two until new leaves grow. Japanse beetles love my
lindens and sycamores so I spray those with Sevin... a second application a
few days later does the job... the beetles emerge to feed and mate and are
entirely gone in ten days even if you do nothing. If you read the label
carefully and follow the directions exactly as stated then there is no
problem with using Sevin, do not mix the concentrate stronger than stated...
mix it a little weaker and it will still work just fine. I've tried the
Japanese beetle traps but those are just an exercise in futility... they
will lure only a tiny percentage of the beetle population... the local golf
courses near here use them because they'd rather remain open for business
and they don't want to deal with being sued, they have much too much area to
spray, and they know that in ten days the beetles will be gone anyway... the
traps when stratigically placed, and plenty are used, they will lure the
beetles from the tees and picnic areas... but they kill only a very small
percentage... so what if they kill thousands when there are millions and
millions.