Old 25-04-2009, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default Worms

"soup" wrote in message
m...
Our soil is a clay one (doesn't drain at all well and is quite
clumpey) I have broken up a patch. Would this patch benefit from worms
or do I have to do the whole mixing in sand bit? How much sand (patch is
5m x 60cm) and does anyone know of a worm supplier in Edinburgh?
May also have access to horse manure (well rotted).

You will open it up much better if you add lots of sharp grit, all the
compost (bought and home-made) that you can muster and, by all means, good
horse muck if you can get it. Bear in mind that this can sometimes be
riddled with weeds.

Worms will come to you. Indeed, they may already be there in the lower
layers of the soil. My worms often lurk deep in the soil during drought
conditions - even in winter.

Spider