Old 25-04-2009, 10:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Question about starting garden

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 00:04:01 -0400, James Egan
wrote:

I'm planning on planting a small garden in my back yard. Currently
there's lawn with grass growing where I want to plant. When you till the
soil, can you just mix in the grass? Or should the grass be removed
first, then tilled, and compost added?

-Thanks

I asked a friend how he removed grass for his garden. He tilled the
grass right into the soil and raked out the roots. The grass that was
tilled deep turned to decomposed, and the remaining removed later.
Sounds like the easiest method and I don't see any remaining grass in
the plot.