Old 26-04-2009, 01:14 AM posted to rec.gardens
SteveB[_11_] SteveB[_11_] is offline

Default I'll get those pesky squirrels .............

wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 08:13:27 -0700, "David E. Ross"
wrote:

On 4/25/2009 4:29 AM, wrote:
Put out food and water for them and they'll most likely stop marauding
your area.

Kate - squirrels gotta eat too

The problem is that the food they prefer includes the guavas, kumquats,
loquats, and peaches in my back yard. They also really like the leaves
on my dwarf orange tree, and the poor tree (being so small) doesn't have
many leaves.

I have a neighbor who cut down his fruit trees because the birds were
getting the fruit before he did. Seemed like cutting off his nose to
spite his face. I have no advice as the trees I plant are meant for
wildlife, though I'd love to plant a couple of sour cherry trees. Does
netting not work?

One major problem is that squirrels in this area (especially ground
squirrels) carry plague.

How big a problem is plague where you are? I've never heard of cases
of plague in TN, but maybe there are.

Kate

Plague, hantavirus, and ebola are very rare. But it's one of those things
that can change your life if you're the one in a million that's under a
doctor's care for it. And IF you happen to live in an area where it is
present, no matter how minimal, you must be aware of it, and at least use
common sense minimal precautions.

Do you live where there is lightning? Pretty low odds for getting hit by
lightning. But, in my own life, I have had three VERY close encounters with
lightning. Within 15' each time. So, although one can't live in a closet
and just come out for food, bathroom breaks, and the Larry King show, one
does need to take reasonable precautions.

Or not.

Steve