Old 26-04-2009, 01:34 AM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom[_2_] JoeSpareBedroom[_2_] is offline

Default I'll get those pesky squirrels .............

"SteveB" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
news
news

"SteveB" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"SteveB" wrote in message
I have made mouse traps out of five gallon buckets, and a tin can
on a wire stretched over the open end. Wipe peanut butter on the
can, and when the mouse steps out on it, it spins and dumps the
mouse in the water.

I have been fighting squirrels all spring. Tomorrow a king size
version goes up, and we'll see how the squirrels do. Going to
get two more for other positions on my property.

Will keep you posted.

Steve

Why?

Why what?

Why are you fighting squirrels?

Because they come into my property, and will strip an apricot tree
in half a day. They don't eat the meat, they leave that on the
ground. They take off the pits. Same thing with almonds. They eat
a lot of stuff, and also destroy a lot without eating it. They chew
their way into the shed and plow through a bag of feed, eat some,
and urinate and defecate in the rest of the bag while they're in
there. We have hantavirus here, and so they bring that with them.

Other than that, I guess they're pretty okay.

Steve

Is there a reason you haven't tried a Havahart trap? You'll obviously
have to dispatch the squirrels somehow after you trap them, but there
are lots of imaginative ways to do that.

I used a Tin Cat for the mice, but you have to handle them too much.
I just tossed the Tin Cat in a 5 gallon bucket of water for three
minutes. Now I take them out with a large metal spoon and fling them
like a lacrosse toss into the chasm that borders our property for the
raptors to have free lunch. Setting and resetting HavAHarts every day
is a pain, not to mention cost times three or six.

Steve

Oh well. Whatever method you use, it'll make you feel like you're being
successful.

You have no earthly comprehension of how your approval has made me feel.

Steve

Steve, you must be new to gardening if you think you'll beat the
squirrels using traps. You may get a one week respite from the attacks,
but more will come next week.

Read what brooklyn suggested a few minutes ago.

Joe, you really need to bone up on your reading comprehension. What these
are is barrels of water. They work 24/7. They don't need resetting.
They don't need maintenance. They don't need monitoring.

I put one out last evening at dusk. I just checked them at 5PM, and I had
four.

I am going to buy two new barrels and put the in the other problem areas.

Steve

You need to bone up on the reality of squirrels. You can drown them all day
long, but there will be more next week or the week after.