Old 26-04-2009, 01:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
General Schvantzkoph General Schvantzkoph is offline

Default Planting in mounds, Wampanoug technique

I was at Plimoth Plantation (Plymouth, Mass on Cape Code) yesterday and
saw something interesting in the Wampanoug village. They plant multiple
crops in mounds rather than single crops in furrows as we do. They plant
12 seeds to a mound, 4 corn, 4 bean and 4 melons. Corn is a nitrogen
using crop, beans are a nitrogen fixing crop so they are symbiotic. Also
it occurs to me that the corn stalk would provide a good pole for the
beans. I'm thinking of using this technique this year, the theory makes a
lot of sense.

Has anyone tried this technique?