Old 26-04-2009, 04:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default I'll get those pesky squirrels .............

when it comes to hantavirus it is both the feces and dried urine as well as the dead
dried bodies that can pass disease. It isnt up to us to decide the risk factor for
others. I dont mind snakes, but then I live where there are no poisonous snakes at
all and grew up here. people down south have a much different view and I have to
respect their dislike.

sick animals dont always "act oddly". happily, rodents dont pass rabies. but even
mice scurrying around in the back yard can spread the ticks of lyme disease up in our
neck of the north so we dont leave food around that would draw them, and discourage
people from putting out bird feeders that would draw them in.

INgrid

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 21:25:31 -0500, wrote:
We get a few cases and a couple of deaths state wide a year from bird
flu - lots more people die in car accidents. I can't see condemning
the species squirrel (or bird) over a remote possibility. Same goes
for rabies. Obviously, if an animal is acting oddly, don't engage it
but the media seems to enjoy public hysteria, imo.

Kate