Old 27-04-2009, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Most fragrant plant for baskets/patio pots?

On 2009-04-26 16:28:34 +0100, "Mentalguy2k8"
said:

Hi,

What are the most fragrant (common, ie easy to get and not too
expensive) things I could get to put into hanging baskets or patio
pots? I'm looking for something (flower, shrub, anything) that gives
off a lot of nice smell, for when we're sitting outside, and even to be
able to smell inside the house when the doors are open. Any help most
appreciated.

Lathyrus matucana, Trailing Petunia Melissa, Begonia solananthera,
Alyssum, Silene maritima Swan Lake is terribly under-used, IMO. And
I've never tried trailing honeysuckle downwards, rather than upwards
but I wonder if anyone else has? However, it could be grown up
supports in a pot placed near a door or window, as could jasmine.
Cestrum nocturnum is very scented on warm evenings but would need to go
into a conservatory or frost-free greenhouse for the winter.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon