Old 27-04-2009, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Hamer Family Hamer Family is offline

Default How to make my allotment look pretty?

Build a pond, get some tadpoles. I have just put an old bathtub full of
rocks into the ground and scrounged some taddies. The frogs will eat plenty
of slugs. Attracts wildlife, eg spiders (good) & hedgehogs (good). Keep a
Nettle patch and a Comfrey patch, attracts bees and makes plant food. Also
build a beetle bank and a hedgehog house and a bee house. All good stuff,
makes the plot more interesting, supports biodiversity and is ecologically
sound. Depends on how much space you have and how tidy you like to be, I
like mine to be a busy mess, but it is always cropping, there's always
something down there to eat.

Mix up the beds a little and grown odd things in spare corners, a couple of
Fennel bulbs, here a Rosemary bush there Stawberries growing through the
leeks, Nasturtiums scrambling among the Raspberry canes, sunflowers in with
the Runner beans. Fill it up with lovely growing stuff! Paradise!

--
Mark Hamer
www.another-way.co.uk

I don't want to arrive at my grave in an attractive and well preserved body,
hopefully I will be skidding in
sideways, Gin and Tonic in one hand -- Cigar in the other screaming YAHAAAY!
On 2009-04-24 18:08:45 +0100, Ed ex@directory said:

My allotment plot looks so dull. How can I cheer it up?

I have six beds: Potatoes, Roots, Brassicas, Legumes, Onions/Leeks and
Fruits. The first five beds rotate in the order given.

I have planted potatoes, some carrot and beetroot seeds, kale and onion
sets.. but there is no ommph or colour in the plot. What can I do at this
time of year or at later times?

Ed
(east herts, uk)

How about keeping a small area for e.g. lilies or other summer bulbs so
that you have your own picking garden?

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials