Old 27-04-2009, 06:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default Mint - favorite varieties

On 4/26/2009 8:35 PM, wrote:
I'm thinking about starting a few mint plants in containers... as a starting point for
using plants for culinary purposes..

Before plunking down the money for whatever is being sold locally, are there
specific mint plants that you would recommend for their taste and use in cooking ??

Are there any mint plants used specifically for fragrance ??

Thanks in advance for your advice and recommendations !!

Peter

ps.... easter lillies have been planted and are still developing new pods
and blossoms... amazing plant...

I have peppermint (Mentha piperita) in a 12-inch flower pot. It does
quite well.

Some recipes call for mint in small quantities. You don't taste any
mint, but there is something not quite recognizable in what you do taste.

Occasionally, I pick and chew a sprig of peppermint. For those not
familiar with the plant, the taste is a surprise. Everyone seems to
think peppermint should be sweet because they are used to peppermint
candies. The sprig is not sweet at all.

I sometimes dry a bunch of peppermint. Steeped in boiling water, it
makes a pleasant tea or an add-on to other teas.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean