Old 27-04-2009, 07:21 PM posted to austin.gardening
Omelet[_4_] Omelet[_4_] is offline

Default Organic Vegetable Fertilizer

In article ,
"The Cowboy" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"The Cowboy" wrote:

I am starting a graden and wanted input on an Organic Fertilizer for
Vegetables

I want to try to grow lettuce, jalapenos, cilantro, and tomatoes.

Thoughts?

Composted manure.

It really is that simple. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

Is there somewhere to get some at low cost?

Mom and dad (and I) always got it for free.
Are there any livestock yards near you?

We were near a chicken ranch and shoveled our own for free.

Most good garden centers should carry some tho' if you are unable to
work for it like we did. :-)

Cattle lots, anyone that raises rabbits or chickens would be delighted
to have you come and do some cleaning for free.

Even composted horse manure is not bad, but tends to be a bit hot. It
needs to compost a little longer than cattle or chicken. Same goes for
rabbit due to the acidic urine.

Alternately, if you are up to it, there is "humanure". Compost from a
local human waste plant, or you could save your own like the Japanese do.

I've never been that brave. g
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.