Old 27-04-2009, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] sutartsorric@googlemail.com is offline

Default Death of a plum tree ?

On 16 Apr, 23:23, Judith in France
wrote:
On Apr 16, 9:46*pm, "Christina Websell"

wrote:
"Spider" wrote in message

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
.uk...
The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

Paul, I am no expert. *I had plums in my last garden in England. *When
did you prune thetree?

Never (or almost never) prune plums!

--

That was my point.

Then I have learned something, thanks Christina, the nextplumI
plant, which may be this year, I won't prune it.

Judith

I have a similar, but not so dramatic problem as the OP with my small
plum tree in a container. This is the first year it has flowered and I
was very pleased at that, but the flowers all died and dropped off.
Now the leaves are starting to do the same. They go dark brown at the
edges and then just wilt.

Some leaves still look healthy, but half of the tree is affected now
and I fear the worst. The only thing I have done is transplant the
tree to a larger tub a couple of months ago.

Could this be the reason? Do plums not like any disturbance? I did not
really upset the roots, because the whole rootball came out as one,
and i just dropped it in a larger container and filled around the
sides with compost.

I have looked at the diseases pages and nothing seems to fit with the
symptoms my tree is displaying. I realise that there is probably
nothing I can do but pray that it is strong enough to struggle on, but
I would like to know if I have killed it with kindness.