Old 27-04-2009, 10:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Strange holes in oak tree (and what to do)

wrote in message
Back a few years ago, I had an oak tree fall against this much small
tree. Were the tree hit, a large chunk of the bark was taken off.
Well, I left it, not knowing what to do.

Well, just today, I noticed that something has been eating the tree,
with these big holes. It seems to have happened recently, as I have
not noticed it before and there are still some wood pieces on the
ground. It could be a woodpecker or something. What did this and is
there any way to help the tree. the wound seems pretty deep, but less
than half of the depth of the trunk. The trunk is about 8" in
diameter. You can see where the bark was beginning to form around the
scraped area.

Here is a link to a pictu

http://spilledwhine.com/pics/IMG_2681.JPG

Thanks,

Tom

Looks like termites or carpenter ants and a lot of dry rot... you should
have tended to that wound years back when it occured... now it's too weak to
allow it grow near other structures, that tree is a goner. From the bark it
appears to be a very ordinary oak, not really worth the price of a bandaid.
Get rid of it, check for wood eating insects in the stump and ground before
planting another tree or don't plant anything there.