Old 28-04-2009, 12:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Strange holes in oak tree (and what to do)

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 14:01:15 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Back a few years ago, I had an oak tree fall against this much small
tree. Were the tree hit, a large chunk of the bark was taken off.
Well, I left it, not knowing what to do.

Well, just today, I noticed that something has been eating the tree,
with these big holes. It seems to have happened recently, as I have
not noticed it before and there are still some wood pieces on the
ground. It could be a woodpecker or something. What did this and is
there any way to help the tree. the wound seems pretty deep, but less
than half of the depth of the trunk. The trunk is about 8" in
diameter. You can see where the bark was beginning to form around the
scraped area.

Here is a link to a pictu

http://spilledwhine.com/pics/IMG_2681.JPG

Thanks,

Tom

Possible insect damage. Clean out any loose debris in the hollow and
keep it clean. Used to treat holes with tar, but now the procedure is
to just keep it clean. Most healthy trees will heal over in time. I
had one tree with a large 6x8" hole, as time passed the hole got
smaller until it healed over completely.