Old 28-04-2009, 03:13 AM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default Iris were yellow, now blue

On 4/27/2009 4:31 PM, Phisherman wrote:
My iris bed is in full bloom. Blossoms were yellow last year now they
are blue. What causes this and will they be blue again next year?

If this happened in my garden -- five different varieties of bearded
iris -- I would suspect that I mixed up two varieties when I divided
them last year. While the colors of bearded iris might become more or
less vivid depending on weather, water, and nutrients, they do not show
such substantial changes as you describe.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean