Old 27-04-2009, 10:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default more AOS gloom

I think you're right about the McQuery donation, Kathy. The time frame seems
right.

On behalf of our society, I wrote to Jim Jordan. I copied a bunch of peeps,
including Carlos. Jim responded quickly and cordially, but the questions I
asked were not really answered.

Your right to the point questions are much like mine, except that I did
email the letter.

Diana

"K Barrett" wrote in message
Ya know, I almost wrote to Fighetti. I probably should have. My points
were that I interpret the data differently.

1) Membership in 2007 and 2008 is just about the same. So to me that says
we've finally gotten down to the hard core orchid addicts. In my email
(that I deleted) I said heck, if the magazine was called 'Opium' instead
of 'Orchids' and you mailed it out to a bunch of hard core addicts what
would you put in the magazine? Articles about the tasty stuff coming in
from Panama, Southeast Asia and the Indian subcontinent. Why treat us
orchid addicts any different from street addicts? Just tell us what's
hot and where to get it. Articles and Ads.

2) Donations in the last 2 years were better than donations immediatly
post 9/11 and the markets sucked then too. So people are still giving.
Granted interest rates are horrid, but they are horrid for everyone.

3) Just as Bill Clinton told Barak Obama to stop talking so negatively so
should Fighetti. Sure times are tough but look at what you get for
membership in the AOS, and talk about that. If they can't come up with
something better to talk about they'd better think of something quick.
Just look at the subject line on this thread. 'AOS Gloom' Really, is
there so much to be gloomy about? Dump the endeavors that aren't paying
for themselves, the gift shop, the gardens, and whatever else isn't
speifically about orchids. I mean, really, would a street junkie care to
have a gold plated needle? No, he just wants more stuff. We aren't any
different.

4) I think the web site has improved, I think the magazine has improved.
I think they should reprint articles from other orchid publications. They
used to reprint from things like the WOC, why not now? I think they should
put the index to the Bulletin in the members only section of the web page.
If what the AOS has more than any other publication out there is depth of
knowledge then give us the index to that knowledge.

Anyway, that's what I deleted to Fighetti.

K Barrett

wrote in message
http://www.aos.org/AM/Template.cfm?S...entDisplay.cfm

--j_a