Old 28-04-2009, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_4_] Ophelia[_4_] is offline

Default Wining the Village Potato Competition....

TheOldFellow wrote:
On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 14:03:55 GMT
Rusty_Hinge wrote:

The message
from TheOldFellow contains these words:

I've just bought an entry to the village potato competition. I now
have the regulation chitted seed potato, and the regulation
ex-ewe-lick tub (20Kg size, 5.5in radius, 10in tall).

The general advice for growing spuds in containers is to plant them
in about half of the depth then earth up as they grow - for me
that's an initial depth of about 5 inches. One bit of advice I've
had says use tomato fertilizer, but this I would have thought would
promote flowers, not tubers. So, any advice please (on any aspect
of this)?

Read the recipe carefully and follow the instructions implicitly, or
you'll end-up with a starch-haze.

Only up until distillation.

R.