Old 28-04-2009, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brownfingers Brownfingers is offline

Default Asparagus question

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 09:40:55 +0200, David in Normandy
wrote:

up to nearly an inch diameter, I've not seen them that wide on
the market. I don't know if it is down to the variety or what. We
steamed them for approx 10 minutes.

Should they be peeled?

an inch!!! You normally need to peel blanched white ones, the Spanish
style. Green I don't need to. I just snap them off where they
naturally want to snap, leaving the hard lower part discarded. (Your
ones may be extra hard because they overgrew while you were away). for
my weedy small ones 6 minutes in the asparagus steamer is fine (bases
in boiling water, tips in steam).
"http://www.amazon.co.uk/Meyer-Professional-Healthy-Asparagus-Steamer/dp/B0000AKLM5"

you need a rubber band to hold the spears upright in the steamer
unless it is full.
--
Mike