Old 28-04-2009, 02:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] Peter@yahoo.com is offline

Default Mint - favorite varieties - Thanks !!!

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 19:07:54 -0700, "David E. Ross" wrote:

On 4/27/2009 2:25 PM, wrote [in part]:

As suspected... I was cruising the local 'Wally's World' today... they had one
type of plant labelled "mentha". No other information given.

That's why I never buy plants at a lumber yard or hardware store.
Instead, I go to a nursery.

I'm in the transition stage between not knowing anything about plants, thus
being easily impressed by big box 'marketing'. Now, thanks to the many
folks on this newsgroup who continuously offer their recommendations
and advice, I'm at the stage where I can actually evaluate some
of the plants from a gardeners perspective.

Someday, (maybe, perhaps), I'll know enough to graduate from the local
Wally's World and Lumber stores to the nurseries, where I can actually
chose the specifics of the plant. i.e..... ahhh... the varieties of mint.

In the meantime, I'm loving the trip...

diary.. During my trip to Wally's World, they were closing out some
type of 'Spring' Azalea. These are 6" foil wrapped pots labelled
'Floral Azaleas', The blossoms were dead, and the leaves were showing...
imagine that !! Terrible...having leaves show instead of blossoms...at least
Wal Mart thought so. So they cut the price back to clear them out and
still make a profit.

Fortunately the grower was listed.... Kurt Weiss Greenhouse of Center Moriches, NY.
A quick visit to their site identified the plants as being Girard's 'Rose' Azalea...
hardy 5 - 8 dappled sunlight, low growing,, flowers may/june.

To put it all together... several ng members have discussed the use of 'holiday'
or 'special occasion' plants and how to continue growing them. I've gotten
good 'soil' recipes from other members. Other members have contributed
advice on growing azaleas. Even more members have contributed the
value of 'research' and synergy. Result ??? I feel somewhat confident
that these plants will actually become an attractive part of the landscape.

Thanks to the knowledge, experience, and advice freely shared by others
on this newsgroup... for me, the original 'black thumb' that's quite an
accomplishment.

For which I'm grateful...

Peter