Old 28-04-2009, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Death of a plum tree ?

On Apr 28, 11:02*am, wrote:
On 27 Apr, 18:39, Judith in France
wrote:

On Apr 27, 6:29*pm, wrote:

On 16 Apr, 23:23, Judith in France
wrote:

On Apr 16, 9:46*pm, "Christina Websell"

wrote:
"Spider" wrote in message

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
.uk...
The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

Paul, I am no expert. *I had plums in my last garden in England. *When
did you prune thetree?

Never (or almost never) prune plums!

--

That was my point.

Then I have learned something, thanks Christina, the nextplumI
plant, which may be this year, I won't prune it.

Judith

I have a similar, but not so dramatic problem as the OP with my small
plum tree in a container. This is the first year it has flowered and I
was very pleased at that, but the flowers all died and dropped off.
Now the leaves are starting to do the same. They go dark brown at the
edges and then just wilt.

Some leaves still look healthy, but half of the tree is affected now
and I fear the worst. The only thing I have done is transplant the
tree to a larger tub a couple of months ago.

Could this be the reason? Do plums not like any disturbance? I did not
really upset the roots, because the whole rootball came out as one,
and i just dropped it in a larger container and filled around the
sides with compost.

I have looked at the diseases pages and nothing seems to fit with the
symptoms my tree is displaying. I realise that there is probably
nothing I can do but pray that it is strong enough to struggle on, but
I would like to know if I have killed it with kindness.

Have you got leaves already? *If the blossom was nipped by frost then
they would go brown. *I still don't have leaves on my fruit trees.
There are many experts here on fruit trees who will be able to give
you better advice than I but good luck with it.

Judith

Yes Judith, I have leaves on it, and we have not had a frost since the
flower buds appeared as I keep daily temperature records.

Some of the leaves appeared as normal, looked very healthy and have
since wilted, but leaves on the same stem are ok. It is very puzzling.

John

I'm sure someone here will be able to help you, there are quite a few
experts. Why not start a new thread and ask there?

Judith