Old 28-04-2009, 04:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
Nanzi Nanzi is offline

Default Mint - favorite varieties - Thanks !!!

On Apr 27, 6:29*pm, Phisherman wrote:
On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 17:25:24 -0400, wrote:
On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 23:35:29 -0400, wrote:

I'm thinking about starting a few mint plants in containers... * as a starting point for
using plants for culinary purposes..

Before plunking down the money for whatever is being sold locally, *are there
specific mint plants that you would recommend for their taste and use in cooking ??

Are there any mint plants used specifically for fragrance ??

Thanks in advance for your advice and recommendations !!

Peter

ps.... easter lillies have been planted and are still developing new pods
and blossoms... *amazing plant...

Thanks all for your helpful responses..... * *

I'll be trying the varieties you've suggested... *it would be nice to try something
homegrown, *instead of store bought. * *

As suspected... I was cruising the local 'Wally's World' today... they had one
type of plant labelled *"mentha". No other information given.

Thanks for rec. gardens

Peter

I bought Mint Julip two weeks ago and it is the only edible plant on
my deck. *This one has the aroma of Wrigley Doublemint gum. *There
were several varieties of mint, I picked the one that had the most
pleasing smell (to me). *Dogs and cats are not amused. *I'm giving it
the same care as the coleus, moist soil and full morning sun. *Mint
does not have the typical care of herbs. * I have spearmint too, which
has been growing on the pond edge for many years but I keep it in
close check.

I keep Mint growing in a 12" container on the deck with a catch basin
under it. It frequently has water standing in it, and the dogs will
drink that rather than their clean water in their bowl.
I wonder if it tastes like mint? Haven't wnted to taste it, it still
has dirt in it.
Nan in DE