Old 28-04-2009, 06:33 PM posted to austin.gardening
cat daddy cat daddy is offline

Default Organic Vegetable Fertilizer

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

"The Cowboy" wrote in message
I am starting a graden and wanted input on an Organic Fertilizer for
Vegetables

I want to try to grow lettuce, jalapenos, cilantro, and tomatoes.

Thoughts?
**************

I grow tomatoes in pots in nothing but pecan leaf compost with a
bag
of
cheap manure mixed in. I only feed them a blender full of egg shells,
banana
peels, coffee grounds, and a little molasses poured in a gallon of
rainwater
a couple of times a season.

You are making compost tea? How long do you let it soak?

I do make compost tea and alfalfa tea at times (aerated for three
days),
but this is just a kitchen leftovers smoothie and I pour it right on. I
figure the soil microbes will eat what they want.
Dang, I always forget to mention using Epsom salt, too.

Sounds interesting. I've never tried that.

My experiment is really growing food (tomatoes) on the cheap and see how
it goes. I or anyone can go get all the meals and pricey fish emulsion and
Biozome and expensive potting soil, and create some $5 each tomatoes, but
that won't help people who can't afford that.
Coincidentally, my tomato plants were really taking off, but looking a
little yellow on the tops yesterday when I wrote to this thread. This
morning, they're all back to a nice healthy green. Was it the smoothie? Who
knows, but that's what I did...

I like getting a 50lb bag each of alfalfa pellets and dried
molasses
from
Buck Moore Feed store on Lamar. I just called and they're around $13 a
bag.

Coffee grounds from Starbucks are free......

--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.