Old 29-04-2009, 12:31 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Chip[_2_] Chip[_2_] is offline

Default Ducks!!!

"Clive Holden" cliverholden @hotmail.com wrote:

"Peter Pan" wrote in message
I looked out my mindow this morinng to find a duck swimming in my
pond... I thought it was very cool to see.. After a few minutes he
flew away.. within an hour he came back with a friend..

Again thought it was pretty cool... then I thought to myself.."What do
ducks eat?" Should I be worried about my koi? As to what kind of
ducks they are, one was brown the other had a green head.

Thanks

Congrats you have a "nesting pair"! The brown one is female and the
other male. Your koi should be pretty safe if a little nervous! Ducks
are generally veggies and will be quite happy feeding on bits of weed
and other vegetation and maybe a few bugs. They are, however, pretty
incontinent and your pump / filter may struggle to cope with all their
crap!

Hope this helps

Clive in Kent

This brings up the idea of chasing "pests" (however you define them) out
of your pond. I see electric fences, auto sprinklers, nets, lasers,
22's, etc being discussed. Has anybody tried the old timey bamboo tiger
chasers. The kind that fill with water and BANG down on a rock when
over-balanced and then empty and rise to do it all over again? Any luck
with these?

Chip