Old 29-04-2009, 03:50 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
JimR JimR is offline

Default Weed & Feed Products

"Jim" wrote in message
Sled wrote:

Hello,

I'm a novice but passionate about getting my lawn looking beautiful.
Following much research, I think I understand the fundamentals of lawn
care and I am now trying to source the best products to treat my lawn
through the seasons. I'm currently using Evergreen Complete (first
time) but I think this is a public consumer product and definitely not
what a professional would use.

What do the pro's use to periodically weed and feed their lawns and who
vends these ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

never buy a product labeled weed and feed.

I'll second that. The best products may vary from region to region, but the
best product is never a "weed-and-feed." It's an indiscriminate use of a
pesticide (herbicide) that's unnecessary. If your lawn is in such bad shape
it needs a weed-and-feed you should consider starting over.

In the south, Lesco produces some high-end fertilizers that include mostly
slow release nitrogen and little or no phosphorus. A good source of
products and information may be a company that deals in commercial
agriculturre / lawn care products such as Prosource One. They have a wide
variety of fertilizers of various compositions for special needs and should
be able to advise you - you'll find them in major agricultural areas and
they also service golf courses and the like. To see what you're up against,
go to
http://prosourceone.com/product_cata...duct_type_id=1
and figure out which of that page of fertilizers is the one you want for
your lawn.

A good first step may be to take a Master Gardener course where you live.
That will get you into the technicalities and biology of soils and
fertilizers. Here's a test -- if you know the meaning of the word
"adjuvant" and can describe the process you may be able to skip the Master
Gardener program, otherwise . . .

Lawn care is a good example of the 90 / 10 rule. You can get 90% of the
benefit with 10% of the effort - it's the last 10% that takes 90% of the
effort, and frankly it's not worth it. You can use that 90% of your free
time a lot better in other ways than in obsessing over your lawn. If ;you
can afford to spend all of your free time working on the lawn, you can
afford to pay someone else to do it for you --