Old 29-04-2009, 08:35 AM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage John Savage is offline

Default Mice in garden now in house

"YMC" writes:
I already had traps set up near my compost bin. Nothing close to the house
to avoid the obvious.

Is it possible that your stealthy visitor might be a native marsupial (an
antechinus) and not a pest rodent?

I have a small worm farm and noticed it was being visited by, I guessed,
a town rat. Around midday I chanced upon it, and it froze in the grass
right in front of me, so I got a good look at it, and it looked exactly
like a rat to me. But I noticed it had a baby clinging to its back, so I
asked here, and respondents declared it could then not be an introduced
rat.

So I ceased setting a trap near the farm, and accept that I'm losing
worms to this visitor whatever it is.

Question to all: is the antechinus totally carnivorous, to the extent
that I could safely put out a grain-based rat poison to nab any pest
rodents with no likelihood of harming the native species?