Old 30-04-2009, 12:40 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default Premature review Book " jamie at home"

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 15:55:51 -0700, Billy
wrote:
Winter: leeks ; pastry ; squash
; winter salads ; winter veg -- Useful stuff.

Winter --Lutefisk......mmmmmmmm... NOT!

Charlie

"Lutefisk is cod that has been dried in a lye solution. It looks like
the desiccated cadavers of squirrels run over by trucks, but after it
is soaked and reconstituted and the lye is washed out and it’s cooked,
it looks more fish-related, though with lutefisk, the window of
success is small. It can be tasty, but the statistics aren’t on your
side. It is the hereditary delicacy of Swedes and Norwegians who serve
it around the holidays, in memory of their ancestors, who ate it
because they were poor. Most lutefisk is not edible by normal people.
It is reminiscent of the afterbirth of a dog or the world’s largest
chunk of phlegm." --- Garrison Keillor

Being married to Ingrid 39 years we never had Lutefisk. Just lingon,
herring, mustards, small potatoes, Kineckabrod, (Sp) Eel and what ever
else was about. Gooseberry seems to be creeping in to the smorgasbord
delights. Oh god forgive me herring all types too. Then there is the
lighting of the glogg...Aquavit the fire of life. Still I forgot to
mention Limpa and there are types of Limpa. Then there is Pea soup with
fat back on Thursday. This on the side. I try do this on Dec 21 being
a solstice kind of guy but Dec 24 rules here.

Those Swedes also have rotten fish under pressure that is considered
excellent. Never had it .

A half-starved population with a Œwhat the heck mentality¹, decided to
go ahead and try storing fish without such trifles as preservation.

Most lutefisk is not edible by normal people.
It is reminiscent of the afterbirth of a dog or the world’s largest
chunk of phlegm

Bill not normal

http://www.escapeartist.com/efam32/swedish.html

--