Old 29-04-2009, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default more AOS gloom

This is anecdotal, and we are Port St. Lucie, not Miami or Atlanta, but
still......

Our show in March made more money than in the past. Not a lot more, but
more. Our vendors were very happy. The societies around us have not been
that fortunate. I chalk up our success in large part to a great effort by
the membership with regard to publicity. We took advantage of every free
advertising venue available, and of course we also paid for ads and
materials. In the past, we did surveys at the door to see what was working
and what was wasted.

The Miami show this year was a bust. Maybe because attendees had to shell
out a total of $25 before walking in the door? Ya think? Many vendors have
said they will not return to Miami next year. Ditto people who went. Since
there were way fewer vendors at Miami *this* year, I don't know where that
leaves them for the future.

Frank & I don't go to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale as a rule. We prefer Tamiami
and Redland. Others are saying the same. Who needs one more white Phal?

It would be nice if, in this area, we could put together four or five
societies and do a regional festival. It would probably take a couple of
years to get off the ground, and that's an issue. $$$$, you know? We're in
great financial shape right now, but who knows down the line?

Diana (heading to Redland on May 15th. Watch out!)

"K Barrett" wrote in message
"Pat Brennan" wrote in message
g.com...
I am not sure where this is all going to bottom out. Not worth looking
back to see which flower shows have gone black since I posted last, but I
got word this week that the Southeast Flower Show is no more and the
Atlanta show staff is being let go. Some of the flower shows have been
bought and are reopening as home and garden shows. This is very good news
for those of us in need of gutter guards, water proof basements, home
alarm systems, and sham wows. Not so good for flower fans.

Pat

Maybe events like Homestead is the way to go, rather than a show per se.

K Barrett