Old 30-04-2009, 04:04 AM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default Can a tomato seed grow into a pepper?

On 4/29/2009 6:42 PM, Dan L. wrote:
In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
wrote:

Last year we had trouble finding my favorite tomato seeds which was
the "Burpee Forth of July" hybrid. After eventually finding one pack
we had our usual tomato crop which was great and throughout the season
we saved our own seeds out of a few of these tomatos. Also in the
garden we had several pepper plants. This year I plant my own saved
seeds from last year. Now I have 18 nice plants, but 3 of them have
pepper shaped leaves, the rest are normal and no I did not get pepper
seeds mixed into the tomatos. I'm real curious what these will turn
into. Is it possible a pepper and tomato can crossbreed?

No. It's not possible. Two different genera.

No ... Hmmm ... I wonder.

I had "Sweet Cherry 100" tomatoes growing next to "Banana Peppers" last
year from direct seed in the ground. One of the pepper plants had a mix
- half of the peppers were traditional long yellow peppers and the other
half was small round red peppers on the same plant. It was a cool
looking plant. It was a busy summer, I should have taken a picture. They
looked just like round red cherry tomatoes and tasted just like a sweet
banana pepper. It was a new food item?

The answer in my book is yes to cross pollination. In this world,
evolution can take many shapes and forms including crossbreeding, in
plants, in humans, in animals and diseases (like swine, bird and human)
influenza. Quote from the film Jurassic Park "Nature Will Find A Way".

Enjoy Life ... Dan

When there is SUCCESSFUL cross-pollination, the seeds might produce
plants that are a hybrid between the two parents. But the fruit
containing those seeds is true to the parent on which that fruit grows.

For example, you can't get a tangelo growing on a grapefruit tree that
was pollinated by a tangerine. Instead, you get a grapefruit whose
seeds might produce a tangelo tree.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/.

Don't ask "Why is there road rage?" Instead, ask
"Why NOT Road Rage?" or "Why Is There No Such
Thing as Fast Enough?"
http://www.rossde.com/roadrage.html