Old 30-04-2009, 09:19 AM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Name callers and bashers

Charlie wrote in message
On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 09:15:06 +1000, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

Try thinking about the word "passion". Why haven't you noticed that it is
the people with passion that you are complaining about? The truly
passionate ones are the same ones who know about gardening. Passionate
people may be a total pain in the end sometimes, but they are those exact
same people who observe, who are experienced and who can answer the
questions.

If they don't have direct experience, they generally want to know the
answer
because they are curious. Curiosity leads to knowledge.

Good response. Often what I notice here is impatience combined
with passion. The internet is the world's largest library and so many
questions asked here are readily answered with just a bit of research.

True, but for those who aren't used to doing research, I have some sympathy.
There is so much rubbish out there in cyber space that people who haven't
ever done research could be totally bamboozled. Experience prepared to
share and letting people question those who are experienced is a very valid
way of learning.

Ofttimes the answers people receive contain ideas and other methods
and hints that people hadn't thought of, or had not heard before, and
should spark more research. You can usually tell a curious person
from a lazy one.

Yep.

The intellectually curious do not need to be spoon fed in a polite
manner. Sometimes a boot in the arse from a pain in the arse is the
best motivation. I've found this to be true often in my life.

Yes. I learned a lot from someone in another area of interest who gave me a
few boots in the bum in an ng. He was criticised regularly for being a
booter. He recently died and a few months before he died, I thanked him
publicly for not spoon feeding and for what he'd taught me. I'm just glad I
thanked him before he died.

Anecdotal evidence is what I find most helpful here. That and the
camaraderie of such a diverse lot of people, worldwide, discussing
tangential issues and cracking wise and hollering. Telling stories
and giving hints of their lives and experiences.

For me, this is a group with a common bond, not just a Q&A forum.

Yup. A community who share one particular interest.