Old 30-04-2009, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Courgette Q

Pam Moore writes
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 08:09:53 +0100, "Donna UK"
wrote:

Hi All

I am growing a courgette for the first time and have just noticed that my
baby seedling, now producing its 5th and 6th leaf, is also producing flower
buds! Its the round courgette tri colour seeds that I grew and still have
it in a 10cm pot on the window sill. Do I leave the flowers on or take them
off at the moment. I am going to get some more compost and pot it up to a
black flower bucket later today...

You can eat the flowers, for example stuffing them as you might do vine
leaves. So you might as well do that with early male flowers.

Once you start getting female flowers too, then you will want to keep
the male flowers for pollination to make sure the fruits set (unless you
have a parthenogenetic variety). If you're worried about pollination,
you can take a male flower off, pull its petals back, and stuff it into
a female flower to transfer the pollen.

I think you have sown the seed a bit early. I don't sow mine until
early May.

But you're down south! Times vary. I have to start things early (in a
greenhouse, to make sure I get a harvest before the growing season ends.

--
Kay