Old 30-04-2009, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Runner Beans

Derek Turner writes
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 22:51:39 +0100, mark wrote:

This evening I planted out 24 runner beans. As they are flopping about
like er..um ..something floppy I would like to tie them to the canes to
give them the idea.
My question is: which way do they grow, clock or anti?

mark

Like all plants they follow the light, i.e. the sun. Does that give you
any clues?

Hmm ... well, one of the wisteria species climbs anticlockwise, another
one clockwise. So does the sun go in different directions in different
places? Possibly N and S hemisphere (it's too early in the morning for
me to think this one through). And runner bean is a S American plant, so
is that N or S hemisphere?

Or to put it another way, I'm not totally convinced that twining
direction depends on the sun's movements.
--
Kay