Old 30-04-2009, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Runner Beans

In article ,
says...
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 22:51:39 +0100, mark wrote:

This evening I planted out 24 runner beans. As they are flopping about
like er..um ..something floppy I would like to tie them to the canes to
give them the idea.
My question is: which way do they grow, clock or anti?

mark

Like all plants they follow the light, i.e. the sun. Does that give you
any clues?

All twining plants do not follow the sun, many use quite a different
technique to twine and can be clockwise or anticlockwise, Wisteria is
just one example where two species from the same genus and same
hemisphere twine in different directions. In these cases the most common
method is for the cells on one side to grow faster than the other
imparting a twist to the stem as it grows
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk