Old 30-04-2009, 04:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default more AOS gloom

wrote in message
pricey. i only have a membership now cuz i get it for my birthday.

if i remember correctly, the report said that the trend seems to be
for people to join for a couple years, then lapse. i did that too--
after a while, the articles seemed repetitive, and they weren't all
that helpful anymore as i was no longer a totally novice grower. on
one of their surveys i suggested they bring back at least a few more
advanced articles, and they seem to have done that. the magazine
seems more balanced to me now.

and the subject line was me being tongue-in-cheek. ;-)

--j_a

Ya know, I disagree that its pricey. Everyone else charges the same for
less. Orchid Digest charges $60 for 6 magazines filled with features I pay
no attention to whatsoever, like Koopowitz's Auntie Maude orchid history or
the 3-D picture. Really, am I going to go get a pair of 3-D glasses just so
I can look at a flower? I joined the IPA, their journal had few articles
of interest and mainly revolves around shows in Taiwan, which I'll never
see. I subscribed to Australian Orchid Review, that one was OK but again,
costs about the same as the AOS plus international postage. All in all the
AOS mag has a better well-rounded group of articles that may not appeal one
month but over time give educational value. Their back issues are priceless
if you ever have a chance to get them plus the index you'll be in orchid
heaven.

K Barrett