Old 30-04-2009, 07:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] man@privacy.net is offline

Default Time release fertilizers

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 16:22:47 -0700, Billy
wrote:

:In article ,
: Tim wrote:
:
: Billy wrote:
: In article ,
: Tim wrote:
:
: nanzi wrote:
: On Apr 20, 10:12 am, Tim wrote:
: I grow everything in containers, and use Pro-Mix BX as the soil medium.
: Very happy with it. It drains so well, I worry that the water soluble
: fertilizer leeches out too quick. A garden expert whose podcast I listen
: to Ron Wilson is an avid proponent of Osmakote, a time release
: fertilizer.
: Does anyone use a time release, and how do you think it works for you?
: Do you still give your plants extra feedings?
:
: Tim
:
: Pro-Mixhttp://www.greenhousemegastore.com/Pro-Mix-BX-38CF-Compressed/prod
: uc
: t...
:
: Osmakotehttp://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/productTemplate.jsp?tabs=usage&
: pr
: oI...
: I have used Osmakote for a couple of years with good results, and I do
: not feed inbetween.
: Thanks !
: Perhaps I will try it this year..It does surprise me that no other
: feedings are needed, I thought maybe once a month or so, but if you are
: happy with the results...............
:
: Tim
:
: btw--Down boy, down....I figured I may get some grumbles from this,
: but I have to ask questions based on what I do...
: See Charlie, it sure didn't take me long!! P-)
:
: Yeah, it's all there in black and white for everyone to see. You don't
: even know the name of the poison that you use, "Osmocote". That really
: encourages the faint hope that you can use it wisely. There are just no
: words to describe your brilliance. None at all.
:
: lol...Doesn't take much to get you riled, does it?
: Well, as long as you feel better.
:
:Riled? I haven't even dipped into my scatological references yet.
:I just hope that this chemfert never sees topsoil. Granted you're not
:distributing this witch's brew over 1000s of acres, but every bit of
:remaining topsoil is precious.
:
:Humankind has not woven the web of life.* We are but one thread within
:it.* Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.* All things are
:bound together.* All things connect.* ~Chief Seattle, 1855

Well, I guess it's on your advice, but this year I think I'll not do
what I've always done in the past which is to fertilize my veges with a
solution made from 5-10-10 or similar. I got the method from a book:

Tomatoes, the Multiplant Method - Klein

Klein's method produces prodigious crops. He plants in rich soil but
after golf ball sized tomatoes hang, he starts doing weekly dousings
with the dissolved fertilizer to simulate hydroponic growing conditions.
You (I think it was you, Billy) counseled that this is killing the soil.
Well, I added enough compost this year that I think I'll get a fine crop
with no additional fertilizer. I'll see how it goes.

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net