Old 01-05-2009, 06:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Mike Mike is offline

Default Lettuce seeds

"Steve" wrote in message
.us.easynews.com...
On Fri, 01 May 2009 00:00:33 GMT, "Mike" wrote:

I have a red leaf (prize head) lettuce and wanted to know in order to

obtain
viable seeds do I need 2 plants? In other words are lettuce plants self
germinating?

I think you meant self-pollonating, and most lettuce are.
Is this plant a hybrid? Was it the only lettuce you or your neighbors
grew? (Lettuce crosses very easily). Was this the plant that bolted
last?

Yep, I meant to say self pollinating.

No the lettuce isn't a hybrid, it was grown from seed planted directly from
a retail seed packet.

The plant was saved to obtain seeds because it showed the most robust
growth. I don't have all my lettuce growing in the same spot, this
particular Red leaf and a Butter head were finished first because they grew
in another area with more sunlight.

I'am still harvesting lettuce to eat in the somewhat shaded area. Which is
the only area I can plant in the ground, and is adjacent to my neighbor's
2-story house, on top of that the idiot likes to plant palm trees everywhere
blocking out more winter sunlight.

So, are you telling me these 2 different species of lettuce can cross
pollinate? I had 2 of each in different pots but since you told me, I now
have 1 of each that are sitting about 20 feet apart.