Old 01-05-2009, 08:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gary Woods Gary Woods is offline

Default Lettuce seeds

"Mike" wrote:

Thanks I'll give it a look, and in the mean time put as much distance
between the 2 species as possible : )

A couple of thoughts: Suzanne Ashworth's "Seed to Seed*," which many of us
regard as Holy Writ, says all the florets in a head open at once and
essentially self-pollinate and shortly after close and never re-open. She
says side by side plants may cross as much as 5% if the flowers are open at
the same time and insects are active. I know the lady at the Seed Savers
Exchange farm doesn't worry much about the varieties in the greenhouse
there crossing. I haven't seen any crossing, but I only have a few
varieties and keep them 20 or 30 feet apart, along with my usual
lackadaisical planting methods, which make flowering time well spaced
out...

*If you're going to do much seed saving, get yourself a copy.