Old 01-05-2009, 06:08 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Old Bob Old Bob is offline

Default Newspaper Mulching

On Fri, 01 May 2009 08:23:19 -0400, Pat Kiewicz
wrote:

Old Bob said:

I have been told that mulching with newspaper topped with grass

clips
is a very easy and effective way to mulch. I got a few questions.

1) how many sheets of newspaper?
2) how much grass clippings, (how thick)?
3) can paper grocery bags be used in place of newspaper?

It's an effective short-term (one season at most) method for
vegetable gardens. It's not really appropriate for 'show' areas
of the garden.

I use 3 sheets of newspaper topped with a couple inches of
shredded leaves or shredded straw or dried lawn clippings.
I spread lawn clippings out on the cement driveway and then
sweep them up. (My neighbor uses fresh lawn clippings over
newsprint AND IT REEKS. Dried clippings will not stink.)

Yes, brown paper bags can be used instead of newprint.

You can also use one layer of plain corrugated cardboard.

Thanks for the info, I am expanding my vegetable garden and the new
part I feel will need the mulching the most.