Old 01-05-2009, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default Compost question

"Ruby Hare" wrote in message
Hello all,

I was just wondering if it was possible to compost mussel shells (or
indeed any other shellfish)? There I was gaily throwing the moule
scraps into the bin after an absolute wow of a dinner, when I thought
hang on a minute. I'm not dedicated enough to rummage through the bin
(ugh) but it would be useful to know for next time. Not sure if they'd
rot down though.

You could grind them down to grit to help break up clay soil, or as a slug
deterrent if you're feeling lucky. that's about all they'd be good for. Or
maybe use them whole for decoration.

Of course everything that once lived rots eventually, but I think they'll be
towards the longer end of the scale.

Steve