Old 01-05-2009, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Parsnips chitting nicely. What to do next?

"Ed" wrote
Having failed to get my parsnips (Tender & True) started by direct sowing
in the ground, I followed advice here and and placed another batch of
seeds between layers of damp kitchen paper towel and left these in the
airing cupboard. After a week, they are now beginning to sprout!

I have prepared 4 - 6 inch wide, deep holes in the veggie plot and filled
these with sifted fresh topsoil.

So, what to do now? Do I just carefully place the sprouted seeds atop
each deep hole and cover with a little topsoil and hope all will go well?
Or should I transfer the seedlings to, say, a peat-pot and put them out
later when they have grown on a bit more?

Parsnips are notoriously slow to germinate until the earth is warm which is
why I haven't planted ours yet.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden